Here we are - 3600 which was still under manufacture 2-3 years ago are not get patched. Shame on you AMD, if it is true.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

That’s so stupid, also because they have fixes for Zen and Zen 2 based Epyc CPUs available.

Intel vs. AMD isn’t “bad guys” vs. “good guys”. Either company will take every opportunity to screw their customers over. Sure, “don’t buy Intel” holds true for 13th and 14th gen Core CPUs specifically, but other than that it’s more of a pick your poison.

• Victor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

How is AMD “screwing us over”? Surely they aren’t doing this on purpose? That seems very cynical.

• Grippler@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

They are 100% not patching old chips intentionally by not allocating resources to it. It’s a conscious choice made by the company, it is very much “on purpose”.

• Victor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’s not what I was referring to. I was referring to the act of “adding vulnerabilities”. Surely they aren’t doing that on purpose. And surely they would add fixes for it if it was economically viable? It’s a matter of goodwill and reputation, right?

I don’t know, I just don’t think it’s AMD’s business model to “screw over” their customers. I just don’t.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

What I mean by that is that they will take a huge disservice to their customers over a slight financial inconvenience (packaging and validating an existing fix for different CPU series with the same architecture).

I don’t classify fixing critical vulnerabilities from products as recent as the last decade as “goodwill”, that’s just what I’d expect to receive as a customer: a working product with no known vulnerabilities left open. I could’ve bought a Ryzen 3000 CPU (maybe as part of cheap office PCs or whatever) a few days ago, only to now know they have this severe vulnerability with the label WONTFIX on it. And even if I bought it 5 years ago: a fix exists, port it over!

I know some people say it’s not that critical of a bug because an attacker needs kernel access, but it’s a convenient part of a vulnerability chain for an attacker that once exploited is almost impossible to detect and remove.