• ben@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

They’re just going to push people to the cheaper units at this point.

I was looking at sous vide cookers a few months back and was considering ANOVA but they were too expensive. Opted for a generic one instead.

The fact that they’re more expensive and require a subscription for what’s essentially a set of presets that my cheap unit has for free is just ridiculous.

• frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Interesting, because when they were relatively new, they were also the cheap option. Sous vide used to be a $1000+ thing. I did a DIY version for around $200, but later Anova came out and it was less sketchy than my box of wires running mains voltage.

Instant Pot seems to make a pretty good one that fits around the sides of their pressure cookers.

Anova’s app is basically useless. Could be nice for looking up temperatures and times for specific things, but I usually google it, anyway. Steaks are by far the most common thing I do sous vide, so it’s usually preset for that. Never used the app outside of playing with it when I first got it.

One thing is for sure: I won’t be recommending Anova to friends anymore.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Could be nice for looking up temperatures and times for specific things, but I usually google it

Well… who knows how long until we start getting billed for that, too.

• harsh3466@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Translation:

“Fuck you for not replacing your perfectly fine and still working 10 year old machine and making our line go up more. We’re gonna do our best to brick it because we want all of your money.”

Fuck capitalism. I will (and have been) doing my absolute to avoid buying any kind of physical device that requires an app to function

• __init__@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I will (and have been) doing my absolute to avoid buying any kind of physical device that requires an app to function

Same. It’s becoming more difficult every day.

• FMEEE@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

And that’s so sad. There are a lot of (mainly Elderly people) who don’t even have a smartphone who now often can’t use the most basic stuff necessary because it needs an app.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

A lot of this stuff is only useful if you have money, anyway. And poverty rates among the elderly have been climbing since the Housing Crash of '08

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Ten years before they pulled this. Hopefully the cookers can be used without the app.