• DaddleDew@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So Microsoft wants to force everyone to ditch their perfectly good machines so they can make more money off of selling OEM licenses.

I’m just waiting for Europe to sue their greedy asses for planned obsolescence.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I can’t tell you how many Apple devices I’ve had that have become unsupported over the years.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Like what? I’m still using my 2011 MacBook Pro, and my phone is about six years old.

I can’t update my 2011 MBP to the latest version of OSX, but it still works fantastically for everyday stuff. Phone can update to the next version of iOS.

• notTheCat@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

can’t update

Yeah, that’s the problem, if your hardware can run the latest software, it should be able to update to the latest software

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

It’s THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! It still functions! If it stops functioning, I can put Linux on it!

It’s a first-gen Core i7… I don’t think the hardware would support the latest version that well, if at al.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

It’s THIRTEEN YEARS OLD!

Thirteen year old Windows computers still get updates (not to mention Linux).

It still functions!

Really? You don’t have any apps that refuse to run because the OS version is too old? My 10 year old iMac won’t run hardly anything…not even a browser.

Mind you, not because the hardware is broken or unsupported, or the software is supported, but because Apple simply refuses to allow it.