I’m using this all the time myself. There is no login to YouTube required and it supports adding subscriptions and doing everything important you can do on YouTube.

And the best part is no ads whatsoever.

• MoeA
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

For some reason like recommendation algorithm, I still use youtube premium.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        12 days ago

If you use premium, the creators still get paid by YouTube for your views. If you use an ad blocker, they don’t get any money from your views.

When you see an ad on YouTube, the creator gets 55% of the revenue and YouTube gets the remaining 45%.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 days ago

If I want to support the creator, I would rather donate directly or subscribe to the person’s Patreon. YT Premium just gives no extra features for Youtube itself so could not justify paying.

• NecroParagon@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            12 days ago

For some reason I doubt that’s a common practice with people hellbent on not seeing ads and not paying for the service.

Color me surprised if I’m wrong about that.

I use youtube music everyday as well as downloading videos on my phone to play without wifi. So maybe I do use some premium features, which may make me biased.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              12 days ago

I don’t subscribe to anyone, but have donated to the authors I like, just as I did to the FOSS projects I use. One blogger even has a site where you can tie your donation to a specific video of his.

And for Youtube Music - RiMusic does just what you described but does not require a Google account or a recurring payment.

• null@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

If only someone would write an article about it with those details in it.

Oh well.